Friday, September 12, 2008

a poem for core class

"Where I'm From" by Annica Davis

I am from 100 year old books,
Scattered papers in
Every corner or nook,

I am from little brothers
And doggy doo doo
I am from cuts and bruises
And lots of boo boos

I am from juicy ripe tomatoes,
And dandelions that tickle your nose,
And that bright bright red rose.

I am from if 
You're bored your boring
You must wash out the chlorine.

I am from Gina and Beau
My mom and my dad
Ahshua and Noah my two
Little brothers, whom I love but oh I wish
For a sister!

I am from pizza and 
Macaroni and tortes 
And cake yummy cake of all sorts

I'm from apartment numbers apartment
Houses that always block our rainbows.

I'm from old fashioned bonnets and
Hop up and get on its and
Who knows what she'll do!

And that big white box
In our closet with irreplaceable
Slides of my mother's mother, father,
Brother sister who died in that terrible accident.

I am from many things
But best of all
I am from my Father above
And that is where I am from.

Annica wrote this week for her core class and we love it!  I wanted to add FYI, that the doggy doo doo is definitely not at our house!  and the papers are definitely in HER room.  OK, so I have "the pile" too!  Anyways, we thought it was beautiful and wanted to share.

2 comments:

Eve said...

That is one talented little girl!

Cliff Girl said...

Gina,
I love it! This says so much about her love of life and also, your supportive love of her for who she is.
As far as time with God and middle schoolers--sheesh! When I talk to my class about it there are glassy stares all around. With my own kids, I pray lots :) I know that they see modeling and have learned about my value for God-time. I think this is part of their individuation. I remind myself that (as my mother always says) 'God doesn't have grandchildren'. This is the time where each begins to own the relationship.
Because of who she is already showing herself to be, it seems like she's there. One thing we did when our kids were her age was to get them some user friendly Bibles and make sure that there were times in their day that were quiet enough to have quiet time. Then its theirs :0 A self-enforced independent love of God--whatever that looks like for her--beautiful!